The AI Revolution in Shared Service Centers: A Story of Enhanced Productivity and Team Growth
Marco Daescher, President & Managing Director, Hellmann Shared Service Center Inc
Flying over 130 meters was one of the most incredible adventures Marco has experienced in his former professional ski jumper career. He brings the same energy to his professional life with over 25 years of experience in diverse industries. Over the past two years, he built the over 100 team-strong Shared Service Center Asia Pacific from scratch.
In a recent conversation with prisila (Correspondent, Asia Business Outlook), Marco shared his insights about shared service centers in today's dynamic business context. Below are the excerpts from the exclusive interview -
Start small with focused automation projects and iterate based on user feedback and results. Engage teams early, listen to concerns, and provide training. This approach introduces AI alongside an effective change management process
How do you see AI and automation playing a role in improving SSC efficiency and effectiveness?
Artificial intelligence and automation have become significant in shared service centers (SSCs), catalyzing efficiency in transactional activities. This technological adoption allows companies to reallocate important workforce resources to more complex and critical tasks. For optimal benefits, companies should identify and automate repetitive tasks, assess performance improvements in cost and quality, and gradually extend AI integration. While AI can replace many processes, it can't replace creative and strategic elements requiring human insight. Teams capable of working along AI systems will be an essential success factor for organizations.
Suggest a few effective metrics and KPIs to measure the success of AI implementation within a SSC.
We measure success through KPIs like process efficiency gains, error rate reduction, and customer satisfaction scores. ROI is assessed through cost savings and revenue growth attributable to the new process. Additionally, improvements in employee productivity and engagement are essential.
What are a few simple steps organizations can take to ensure data security when implementing automation in an SSC?
With third-party companies and providers involved in various processes & departments in an SSC, it is paramount for every organization to have stringent data security measures and comply with all related regulatory frameworks. Additionally, companies must have strict agreements with all third-party vendors regarding data privacy, non-disclosures, access privileges, and others. Whenever possible, the company should store sensitive data in-house.
"The key to success lies in a 'Glocal' (global+local) approach – blending global standards with local nuances"
Briefly explain the importance of balancing between global standards and local culture in an organization's functions.
The key to success lies in a 'Glocal' (global+local) approach – blending global standards with local nuances. Aim for a modular setup: standardize 80% of processes but tailor the remaining 20% to local needs, regulations, and customer requirements. Understanding and integrating local culture, diversity, and market dynamics is crucial. This balance not only fosters global efficiency but also resonates locally. Further, it supports the scaling of the business while keeping the costs under control.